[mythtv-users] One machine for it all or Xbox frontend, and Program Guide outside US

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Wed Jun 16 02:35:46 EDT 2004

> * For the same reasons as above, the noise level of the machine is less of
> a problem, so I don't need to spend as much on silent cooling.

The Xbox isn't the quietest machine in the world. I've got mine behind a
glass door, but I can still hear it. It's not distracting, but it's there.

> * Graphics and sound card... I assume I don't need as good graphics and
> sound card for the back end machine if I run the front end on the xbox, is
> this correct? Does the backend use that hardware for anything (like doing
> hardware mpeg encoding or something like that)?

If the backend will only be a backend, you don't need a soundcard at all,
and any video card that will work with X should be fine. (You need to run X
to run the setup program).

As far as encoders go, you can either get cheap BTTV-based cards and a hefty
CPU, or you can get hardware MPEG encoders (the PVR-250s are the most
popular) and get by with a pretty weak CPU (mine's an Athlon 1200).

> * It seems like it might be harder to stay completely up-to-date with this
> solution, and it might be harder to run any custom software that might be
> wanted.

When .15 came out a week or two ago, it was only a matter of a day or two
before the xbox packages were available. If that's too long to wait, you can
always compile it yourself, assuming you're fairly handy with Linux.

> * I have to have an Xbox next to my TV... People might think I support
> it...

Everyone who has looked at my Xbox-Myth system has been blown away by what
it can do, and not a single person has accused me of being a Microsoft
lover. :)

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the backend+Xbox approach.

Scott

---