[mythtv-users] Zap2It needs our help

myth at petedavis.net myth at petedavis.net
Wed Jun 16 12:47:49 EDT 2004

> Well if you want to talk about wasting bandwidth, let's talk about this
> thread. My guess is that hell will freeze over before Zap2It allows
> anyone to cache and/or redistribute their data without paying a
> significant amount of money. :)
>
> kr
>
> --
> K.R. Foley
> kr at cybsft.com
> www.cybsft.com

I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that someone at Zap2It is clearly following
this thread would lead me to believe they may actually be willing to
entertain possibilities that allow them to reduce bandwidth as long as they
can protect their IP rights and protect their customer's privacy at the same
time.

I think if we as a community can come up with a way that they could do this,
perhaps they'd be willing to listen. Yes, they are a for-profit company, so
it's unlikely they're just going to hand out their data for mirroring. On
the other hand, they clearly have bandwidth issues, and I think if the
community could help them solve their bandwidth problem and still keep their
data protected, then they only stand to benefit.

Pete