[mythtv-users] mythtranscode container format?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 16:39:57 EDT 2004

Am I being stupid?

I can't figure out what format MythTV encapsulates MPEG4 into once I've
done a transcode.

Transcoding was done by going into the TV menu, recordings, selecting the
show and hitting "transcode" from the options. It was converted from a
640*480 MPEG2 captured from a PVR-250. Plays back just fine Myth, but I
can't get it to play back in anything else - is there something I'm missing
(yes, I have tried google and the list archives!)? Incidentally, quality is
very good, considering it's about half the size it used to be.

nuvinfo says:

banquo mythtv $ nuvinfo tvstore/5003_20040510225800_20040511011000.nuv
ls: /var/lib/mythtv/*.nuv: No such file or directory
head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in the
future

info for: tvstore/5003_20040510225800_20040511011000.nuv

aspect:  1
audio_bits_per_sample:  16
audio_channels:  2
audio_compression_ratio:  11
audio_fourcc:  1162690892
audio_quality:  7
audio_sample_rate:  48000
audioblocks:  -1
desiredheight:  0
desiredwidth:  0
finfo:  MythTVVideo
fps:  25
height:  480
keyframeadjust_offset:  0
keyframedist:  30
lavc_bitrate:  1650000
lavc_maxqdiff:  3
lavc_qmax:  15
lavc_qmin:  2
pimode:  P
rtjpeg_chroma_filter:  0
rtjpeg_luma_filter:  0
rtjpeg_quality:  0
seektable_offset:  1797485689
textsblocks:  -1
version:  0.07
video_fourcc:  1482049860
videoblocks:  -1
width:  480

done

I was a bit surpised to see the 4CC at such a weird value - I changed it to
generic MPEG4, XVID and DivX to see if that would happen, but of course
even if the 4CC was wrong it'd only affect the decoding of the video
stream, not the opening of the file itself. I've tried it with avi, MPEG,
ogm and matroska-capable playback devices (as well as VDubMod), and all
fail to render. Judging by the mailing list, it looks like I'd have been
better off sticking to nuvexport - looks like I'll have to bring buying
Battle Royale forward a bit!

If anyone has any pointers, I'd be much obliged! I don't mind RTFMing, I
just need to know which FM to R.

(P.S. also a bit surprised to see nuvinfo tell me my video is 480 by 480
when I asked it to be 640 by 480, but that's another story ;^)