[mythtv-users] MythTV and my new Samsung DLP

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Jun 17 09:07:58 EDT 2004

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> The i810 video driver does not allow any custom modelines. Just what
>>> the
>>> bios reports as being supported. I have one onboard and had to install
>>> an nvidia card because I could not get any modelines to work. After
>>> much
>>> searching I found where the Intel drivers only allow modes reported by
>>> the bios and ignore all modeline commands.
>>>

>> Wow, really? What a bunk piece o' junk...
>>

> No joke--kind of breaks the whole X Windows design philosophy.  Are
> they open source drivers or binary only ones?

I fought getting modelines to work forever. They were always ignored or
'not found' in the log. After some searching on the web I found where
the card only supported the bios screen sizes. I did not play around
with it any more after that. I was using the Intel Extreme Graphics2 865
chipset. It used the i810 driver. Don't take my word for it though. The
Intel website has a section on compiling the driver for XFree86 3.3.5.
They mention modelines on the same page. I switched to nvidia anyways
because I had a card in my backend that I knew worked.

- James