[mythtv-users] My Media Box hopes to launch Q4 2004

Chris Blackburn chris at cblackburn.com
Thu Jun 17 19:35:56 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 15:01, tim wrote:
> Sorry ,
> Just seems like somebody capitaliziing on sombody elses work.

Tim, it pretty much is exactly that.  However, that is the nature of
Open Source (and pretty much all business in America).  Someone else
writes it and many others use it, and in this case enhance it and
hopefully make money while doing it.

Isaac has done a magnificent job steering the MythTV into what it is
today.  However, he has no interest in being involved in a commercial
venture to provide a stable hardware platform and support for it.  He is
having fun and there is nothing wrong with that.  We just want to take
it to the next level.

The code will remain open source, as it legally must.  Any enhancements
we add will be available to all as open source, except maybe video on
demand.

If we succeed this can be a huge win for Open Source and we (the user
community) can potentially take control of what music and video are
available to watch and how we want to watch it.  We can do things like
provide an extremely low-cost distribution channel for musicians and
film producers to take advantage of; change the way television
programming is developed and distributed, etc.  Lots of other things I
cannot mention right now.

Sorry you don't like what we are trying to do.  Hopefully you will
change your mind in the future.

Regards,

--Chris