[mythtv-users] Recommended card for surround sound?

Jesper Rasmussen jr at d6.dk
Fri Jun 18 04:09:04 EDT 2004

Im running an optical digital cable between the pc and my hifi reciever.
Im jusing an ordenary 5.1 soundblaster with optical out addon.

AFAIK (and please correct me if im wrong):
the sound card will not do any sampling or sound generation. It will
only pass the digital information from the disc (after decode from flac)
  to the reciever, which will then do the DA conversion.

In otherwords the quality of the soundcard is not important in this
setup (as long as the digital signal is not disturbed).

I have superb sound quality, and quite a diference if i plug in the
analog cable, and compare the two.

The reason for optical instead of electrical digital, is to have the pc
and the Amp COMPLETELY seperate. When i connect the analogue camle,
electrical interference will be able to run from the pc kabinet along
the wire, and generate static in the apm.

cheers
Jesper