[mythtv-users] DirecTV HD Recivers and MythTV

mythtv at hundekeandroyal.com mythtv at hundekeandroyal.com
Sat Jun 19 13:17:15 EDT 2004

Hello all,

A plea to the mailing list

Does ANYONE have a working DirecTV HD set top box that talks nicely with
MythTV?  By "talks nicely", I mean does anyone have MythTV controlling
it, able to change channels, power on/off, etc.  If so, what model are
you using and how do you have MythTV controlling it (IR Blaster or
script over RS232)?

I've pulled out the remaining strands of hair I have trying to get the
Samsung SIR-TS360 DirecTV HD set top box to play nice with MythTV.  I'm
either too dim to make it work, or it just won't work.  I'm thinking
it's the former rather than the latter.  I'm trying to get MythTV to
change channels and control the sat box, but all the scripts out there
won't work.  I've even found some hex codes that are used over on a win
box, but can't seem to shoe horn them into a working script.  I've tried
the IR Blaster route, but was unable to get a good lircd.conf file for
the remote that comes with the sat box (when using irrecord, it will
only catch the numbers 0, 2, 6,  and the "dash" button, and the "audio"
button...very strange).  I've just plain run out of options.  I can't
believe that a new stb like this won't work with MythTV.  I'm guessing
the problem is that it is so new...my bad.

So, I'm thinking of ditching the Samsung (Ebay...anyone want it?) and my
brand new IR Blaster....if anyone can tell me of a set up that works.
This single problem is keeping me from using the box full time (well, at
all actually).  It's pretty useless if it can't change channels.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.  Also, if anyone
wants the codes that I've found (as posted on an AVS forums thread),
I'll be happy to pass them along in hopes of cobbling up a working script.

Thanks,
Geoff