[mythtv-users] Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Steven White stevew at s2microsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 23:57:15 EDT 2004

I read some posts on toggling an LED to show system status and came up
with something to dress up my MythTV box.  I'm designing a small circuit
that integrates an IR receiver, IR transmitter, status LEDs, and a 2
line LCD into one small pc board.  LCD messages would be sent via a
serial message protocol (hopefully using the same COM port as the one
used for LIRC..can this be done since I'd only need the TX and RX
lines???).  Any message could be sent to the display, such as "Now
Playing: The Simpsons" or "Recording: The Sopranos".  The status LEDs
could be turned on and off via a serial message also.  The IR
transmitter LED(s) and status LED(s) could be remotely mounted from the
board.  Power would be drawn from a hard drive power supply connector.
The LCD would be optional and autodetected by the onboard
microcontroller.  The goal of all of this is to combine all of the
hardware needed for a homebrew PVR into one pcb board to make things
neat and easy for people who don't have any soldering or electronics
experience.  If there is enough interest, I can have a batch made after
the prototypes are tested (I own an electrical engineering business).
MythTV developers would get free sample boards if these things get
popular enough to be supported in the project.  Does this sound like
something useful?  Does anyone else have a wishlist for their MythTV box?

Thanks,
Steve