[mythtv-users] Hauppage 250 no tuner channels using ptune.pl

Mike Mullins m.mullins at teleworks.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 06:47:55 EDT 2004

I built Mythtv on a Fedora core 1 system following the excellent destructions at
wilsonet dot com.  I am using a Hauppage 250 card baught in GB.

Right now I have composite video only working by setting the video input to 5
with test_ioctl -p 5 (composite input on phono connector).  Use the tuner on an
old VCR to output video signal.  When I use input (test_ioctl -p) 4 for the
tuner I get "snow".  I have tried various things including the looping script
which uses ptune.pl and mplayer, and found no channels at all.

I noticed that my DMESG says "tuner: TV freq (0.06) out of range (44-958)" if I
try anything less than 704 (which is 16 x 44). Is there a definitive source
which says exactly what frequency "x" in Mhz, or TV channel 21, 26 etc, is in
the 250 card for each value of "freq", so I can simply look up the channels I
need in Crystal Palace London area.  There are only five.

Here is the relevant lines in my modules.conf

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner pal=1 type=28
post-install ivtv /usr/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u 0xff -r freq=754 -p 4
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

I also note that tveeprom modules says that I have forced the type=28.  It does
this no matter what I put in modules.conf.  Am I supposed to use the tveeprom
test before loading the ivtv modules?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike Mullins