[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Colin Smillie csmillie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:41:29 EDT 2004

I really like this idea.

One solution to simplify the driver development might be to have the
microcontroller read the actual LIRC/IR signals and use special signal
triggers.  You could use setup signals that would trigger the
controller to turn on the record LED, or even transmit ASCII chars for
the LCD.  In this way you could just use the standard LIRC drivers.

There might be some IR based keyboards ( assuming LIRC can understand
them ) that you could use for your signal/trigger protocol.

It think it would be best to use a USB connector though, preferrably
with both internal motherboard header and external connector.  I can
see both Serial and Parallel being dropped from motherboards.

I've seen USB to Serial connectors which might work, if the circuitry
for USB is too complicated.  This might be put some burden on the
driver development though, not sure how they work.