[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

David Huseby david at surreal.com
Mon Jun 21 21:20:36 EDT 2004

-] And this is exactly why it's a bad idea.   You do not have
-] the right to
-] download shows.  It's people like you that get things like
-] the broadcast
-] bit passed into law fucking it up for the rest of us.

No, I completely disagree.  The 17th amendment to the US Constitution
changed the election of Senators to be popular when previously they were
selected by state legislatures and confirmed by the governor.  That
sounds reasonable right?  Well, not really, because popular Senate
elections mean that candidates that can pull in the big contribution
dollars get elected which leads to Senators with a huge amount of
legislative power being beholden to large corporate interests.  Crappy
legislation like the DMCA and the broadcast flag are a direct result of
coporate control of our senators.  It is no surprise that state level
politics are more personal and easier to influence, but that doesn't
result in local control of your state's senators because of the popular
election system.  States are now just another lobby group to a senator,
and one that doesn't have very deep pockets.

If you want your rights protected, we should be pushing to take back our
senators.

Dave