[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Tue Jun 22 17:54:24 EDT 2004

> That's an interesting solution to ballancing the interests of users
> and
> copyright owners.  I disagree with it completely on the grounds that
> your government (I assume you're Canadian) is messing around with the
> free market and controlling a compensation system which assumes that
> all
> users of CD-R's are intending to make copies of CD's. (Not to say that
> the US government is any better in regards to economic freedom.)  I
> stand firmly against government sponsored redistribution/compensation
> systems, but I have to say that it is certainly a creative solution.

If you're refering to the 'levy' we've been paying for years now ...
it was an agreement suggested by the government to help replenish and
suppliment costs lost due to piracy and copyright. That suggestion was
agreed to by many copyright holders who saw $ coming from it including
national, (US, Canadian, European) recording companies. The government
proposed a solution, and a lot of people signed on. After that it
became law.

Support it or not, the companies and industry complaining about it are
the ones that agreed to it initially (obviously not realizing the
reprecusions in the future). Either way its saved a lot of redicuklous
loaw suits from happeneing in Canada and I'm personally glad for it.
There's negative points on both sides, the one thing I was HOPING it
would do is force people who are having their copyright material
pirated, come up with a better solution. Just because they were raping
the public AND the artists ... doesn't mean people should steal
everything in site ... but now that they are, rather then trying to
come up with a viable 2000's solution, they just keep trying to sue
and dig for $ which is doing no one any good.

However it was already mentioned and correct ... this has nothing to
do with MythTV.

</2cents>
--
Lonny