[mythtv-users] DVB / deinterlacing setup

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Jun 23 10:47:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 04:07:27PM +0200, Flemming Frandsen wrote:
> Hi, I'm about to invest in a large DVB setup and I'd like to describe it
> and hear if my plans are realistic at all.
>
> I have a rather long way from my antenna/dish to my hometheater / other
> viewing locations so I want to put all tuners in a pc placed near the
> antenna.
>
> I want 3 DVB-s tuners (budget cards) that each output a TS and a PVR 250
> card in that box.
>
> Q1) Does mythtv support simply storing the demuxed mpeg stream from the
> TS and PVR on disk?

Not the whole TS, only pre-selected PIDs. The recorded format is still a
transport stream though. Filtering is done in the DVB hardware.

> Q2) ... so I'm right in assuming that the tunerbox (aka mythtv backend)
> doesn't need that much CPU when all it does is shovel data from the tuner
> to the network card?

Yep.

> Q4) Will digital sound from DVB pass through the system unmolested?

Hard to answer. MPEG layer 1/2 audio (stereo only): yes. You can put the
AC3 PID in the channel settings and I think it'll be recording, but AC3
playback from DVB isn't working, AFAICT.

> Q5) Is it possible for two backends to share one DVB card?
> (multible channels can be multiplexed into one TS)

Nope.

Hamish