[mythtv-users] HDTV?

Wed Jun 23 14:34:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>  	I would imagine that this would be useful to folks without XV then, no?
> Isn't the majority of the CPU power requirement for non-XV cards in the
> software scaling?  At the very least, it allows for non-scaled DVD resolutions,
> etc.  Does it use RANDR or just change the physical resolution (keeping the
> root X window and consequently the virtual resolution the same)?
>
> Interesting...
> -Cory

Do you mean XvMC?  Pretty much the patch will ONLY be usefull to people
using X in one form or another.  Either Xv or XvMC should work fine with it.

It uses xrandr to do the resolution switching.  As Doug suggested in his
original version of the patch, it make a system call rather than using
library calls, to reduce the library dependancy.

I have also discovered that it does not work well with "light"
destktops/window managers.  KDE and Gnome work fine, but ratpoison and XFCE
do not seem to do the right thing.

John