[mythtv-users] Patching ATrpms kernels for pcHDTV support

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jun 24 17:13:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> I was successful in patching Red Hat's 2.6.7-1.441 kernel out of their
> development branch, built a kernel rpm and everything. The machine is booting
> off it, the modified bttv kernel module loads and recognizes the card just
> fine. However, the pcHDTV-provided 2.6.6 tools all like to segfault (which
> I've read is rather common, unfortunately). Tonight, I'll try playing with
> xine-hd and MythTV with the card...

I was one of those that posted the segfaults on the pcHDTV forum.  I was
originally using a kernel.org 2.6.6 and couldn't get dtvsignal to work (it
would segfault).  Then when 2.6.7 was available I used the pcHDTV patches
against it and everything worked great (except that my CPU is too slow).
I could watch HDTV in mplayer until my CPU started getting behind and just
couldn't buffer anymore and then the audio would stop and the picture
would get blocky but continue.  This was even watching 480p source
material.  1080i source also looked and sounded great, but it would stop
sooner of course.

I have patched a new vanilla 2.6.7 with the latest v4l2 drivers and the
pcHDTV patches.  As soon as I have everything finished and the pcHDTV
happily co-exists with the PVR-250 MCE I will write something on what I
did.  This of course is on my test system.  My main system with two
PVR-250 retail is working great.  Thanks to all the developers that have
made this possible.  And thank you Jarod for an excellent guide.  I have
setup MythTV manually and when your guide came along I setup a new system
using it on FC1.

Later,
David