[mythtv-users] Patching ATrpms kernels for pcHDTV support

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 17:58:20 EDT 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 14:13, David George wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > I was successful in patching Red Hat's 2.6.7-1.441 kernel out of their
> > development branch, built a kernel rpm and everything. The machine is
> > booting off it, the modified bttv kernel module loads and recognizes the
> > card just fine. However, the pcHDTV-provided 2.6.6 tools all like to
> > segfault (which I've read is rather common, unfortunately). Tonight, I'll
> > try playing with xine-hd and MythTV with the card...
>
> I was one of those that posted the segfaults on the pcHDTV forum.  I was
> originally using a kernel.org 2.6.6 and couldn't get dtvsignal to work (it
> would segfault).  Then when 2.6.7 was available I used the pcHDTV patches
> against it and everything worked great (except that my CPU is too slow).

Including dtvsignal?

> I have patched a new vanilla 2.6.7 with the latest v4l2 drivers and the
> pcHDTV patches.

The very latest stuff from Gerd? Axel has a 2.6.7 kernel patched with the very
latest v4l2 stuff, and I couldn't get the pcHDTV patches to apply cleanly on
top of them, due to several changes... I briefly looked at what it would take
to manually patch them in, but it was all over my head. Too many differences,
I didn't want to break something.

> As soon as I have everything finished and the pcHDTV
> happily co-exists with the PVR-250 MCE I will write something on what I
> did.

I'd definitely like to see that. Also, if really do have the very latest v4l2
stuff and pcHDTV stuff playing nice together, I'd be very interested in
looking at some patches...

> This of course is on my test system.  My main system with two
> PVR-250 retail is working great.  Thanks to all the developers that have
> made this possible.  And thank you Jarod for an excellent guide.  I have
> setup MythTV manually and when your guide came along I setup a new system
> using it on FC1.

=)

Crap like taking time tinkering with my pcHDTV card keeps detracting from my
guide update time... But I want to put this $600 investment to use now!

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...