[mythtv-users] Control MythTV over network (not Mythweb)

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jun 24 18:13:03 EDT 2004

> On Thursday 24 June 2004 16:59, Ryan Allen wrote:
> > Could you use this?
> >
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC/
> >
> > I'm not even sure if VNC works with Myth, but I cannot see why not.
> >

> You'd need the x11vnc patches to export a live X display via VNC.  I do
> this at home, but it's probably not well-suited for a PDA, as the Myth
> GUI really needs 800x600, or at least 640x480.  Bear in mind, also,
> that VNC will not allow you to view video remotely (unless you turn off
> Xv output, in which case your CPU might get pegged...
>
> -JAC

You can also use x0rfbserver.  I run that on my myth frontend box
occasionally when I want to restart mythfrontend in the living room
while sitting at my desk in my computer room.  x0rfbserver just attaches
to a running X server and presents it out the normal vnc port.  I
ssh in and run it remotely only when I have to.

--

Chris