[mythtv-users] Nvidia Driver Woes

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 18:53:02 EDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 14:16, Jason keirstead wrote:
> On June 24, 2004 08:56 pm, Douglas Beck wrote:
> > Hi, All.  My friends myth machine is running FC1 and has an Nvidia
> > geforce 4mx card in it.  Following Jarod's guide he installed
> > nvidia-graphics4363 drivers.  For whatever reason this thing hangs hard
> > (random garbage on screen) when the driver fires up.  The machine is
> > completely hung at that point.
>
> Well for one, those dirvers are ancient ( almost 1.5 years old ). One
> person alreayd said to disable RenderAccel, that is because in those old
> drivers RenderAccel was buggy / unstable. In the current 5336 series it is
> great.

RenderAccel worked fine for me with the 4363 drivers, but as with many things,
ymmv...

> Why arnen't you using / trying the latest drivers?  I am using the 5336
> drivers with my Debian install without any issues whatsoever.

Because the later drivers are broken as all hell with respect to TV-out.
Overscan doesn't work post-4363, and some of the vsync stuff was broken,
though Myth now works around that by using OpenGL...

This was all supposedly going to be fixed in a driver release at the end of
May, but it still hasn't seen the light of day (probably because of the 8k vs
4kstacks issue).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com