[mythtv-users] Minimum CPU for separate backend

Anders Lindgren dugdale at sm.luth.se
Fri Jun 25 00:07:35 EDT 2004

I am slightly confused about the system requirements for the backend of
Myth. On mythtv.org, it talks about a P3-550 being too weak a system, and
thus Isaac went to a Athlon XP 1800+. However, this is for a system that
acts both as frontend and backend. I was planning to get myself a Athlon
XP 2200+, but am starting to think that it might be overkill and I might
be able to get away cheaper and use some hardware that I already have.
I have a P2-400 machine with 1 GB of memory, that would be great if it
could be used for this purpose. I am planning on getting a PVR-250 card,
so the CPU won't have to deal with the encoding, and the frontend should
run on another machine (an X-box).
Would it at all be possible to get away with using a system like this?
I've seen in some mailing list archive that someone claimed to be using a
similar system like that for the backend, but I never found any reports on
whether it actually worked satisfactory.

I could of course just try it and see if I get it to work, but I'm
currently in the US (and this is where I have the P2-400), and I won't be
setting up my Myth machine until I get home to Sweden in a couple of weeks
(and I'm having space issues trying to pack all my stuff into my bags, so
if I don't think I can use the hardware for Myth, I will sell/give it to
someone here instead of bringing it back home).

/Anders