[mythtv-users] Minimum CPU for separate backend

Greg Foster greg.foster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 07:35:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:44:29 -0700, David Rees <drees at greenhydrant.com> wrote:

> Anders Lindgren wrote, On 6/24/2004 9:07 PM:
> > Would it at all be possible to get away with using a system like this?
> > I've seen in some mailing list archive that someone claimed to be using a
> > similar system like that for the backend, but I never found any reports on
> > whether it actually worked satisfactory.
>
> You should be able to get away with using a P2-400 for a dedicated
> backend with hardware encoding...
>
> -Dave

I'm using a Xeon 400Mhz proc (well, 2 procs in the box, but running a
non-SMP kernel right now ) with a PVR-350 for a backend/frontend
combination.   In addition, I'm serving an XBOX frontend upstairs, and
there are no issues with this machine.  Except for commercial
flagging, CPU utiliization on the backend is ~8%.

Greg.