ivtv and ivtvdev was Re: [mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Jun 25 14:26:09 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 10:30 25/06/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> On Friday 25 June 2004 02:15, Stephen Tait wrote:
>> > The ivtv people have a (very small) patch for XFree they suggest
>> you use if
>> > you're using the 350 FB. There are lots of people who don't have
>> problems,
>> > but some 350 users get random X lockups; that's what the patched
>> version is
>> > meant to fix.
>>
>> The only patch I'm aware of is for the ivtv driver (Matthias'
>> fix-prepdma
>> patch), and then his ivtvdev X driver. No actual patching of XFree86.
>> That's
>> the combination I'm using for 350 output on my EPIA, and it works great,
>> haven't had a single lockup with that setup.
>

> Aha, sorry had the thin end of the wedge as AINAPVR350U. From the docs
> I'd skimread it sounded like a one-line patch to X that stoped Bad
> Things from happening.

I'm pretty sure you're both right.
Matthias's ivtvdev X driver is the standard XFree86 fbdev driver with a
tiny(?) patch to use DMA instead of ordinary memory writes (in fact it
still seems to think of itself as the fbdev driver when you give it
options).
Users don't need to recompile ivtvdev (which is tricky) 'cos there's a
generic binary that works fine - just install in the right place and
tell X to use it.
That driver works with his modified 0.1.9 ivtv driver and ck's ivtv
drivers. (I don't know if it works with standard 0.1.9 - I've never used
it.)
I don't know the earliest ck ivtv driver that supports it (50s?) but
#71d does.

David