[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 25 14:32:17 EDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 10:59, Stephen Tait wrote:
> At 10:30 25/06/2004 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Friday 25 June 2004 02:15, Stephen Tait wrote:
> > > The ivtv people have a (very small) patch for XFree they suggest you
> > > use if you're using the 350 FB. There are lots of people who don't have
> > > problems, but some 350 users get random X lockups; that's what the
> > > patched version is meant to fix.
> >
> >The only patch I'm aware of is for the ivtv driver (Matthias' fix-prepdma
> >patch), and then his ivtvdev X driver. No actual patching of XFree86.
> > That's the combination I'm using for 350 output on my EPIA, and it works
> > great, haven't had a single lockup with that setup.
>
> Aha, sorry had the thin end of the wedge as AINAPVR350U.

Or rather, IANAPVR350U. ;-)

> From the docs I'd skimread it sounded like a one-line patch to X that stoped
> Bad Things from happening.

Whatever the patch may be to, it does indeed seem to help out stability
tremendously. Not sure how much of that is due to the change of motherboard
in my case, and how much to the driver tweaks, but hey. Going on 3 weeks
without a single hard lock on my EPIA/350, opposed to 2x/day way back when on
a different board.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com