[mythtv-users] Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jun 25 18:48:27 EDT 2004

Adam Felson wrote:
> On playback, things will often freeze and then video will jump with
> audio still on the prior segment.  Rewinding past the "jump point" is
> impossible -- it is like trying to backup on a DVD with a bad scratch.
> Mythfrontend spews tons of "Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!"
> errors while this is going on.
>
> What can I do to try and troubleshoot this?

These kinds of problems are usually due to problems during
recording. If you are using a hardware encoder, this would
be due to a driver bug, extremely noisy video signal or such.
More likely it would be software encoding while the CPU was
pegged (0% idle time). If mythfilldatabase runs, or a compile
or any other CPU intensive task that runs for more than a few
seconds, the contents of the file will be damaged as the CPU
is not able to keep up with the recording tasks. There may be
many dropped video frames, time codes that are too far off and
keyframe entries in the position map that are missing or wrong
(this is the most likely cause for not being able to seek past
a certain point).

--  bjm