[mythtv-users] Sound problems

Ryan Smith rcs2 at calvin.edu
Fri Jun 25 23:02:08 EDT 2004

I am so frustrated its unbelievable.

Ok so here is the story.  Back in January I set up my box for mythtv,
after many struggles (including extra ones because my college
rebroadcasts the channels to a different number scheme as well as has
just about every port blocked that mythtv needed for basic things) I
finally got it to work.  I also decided that there were too many things
that just didn't work to well with all the ports being blocked and
such, so I didn't really use it that much.  Now I'm home for the summer
and am reinstalling from scratch (due to complications, besides, my
previous one was on RH9).

So now I am having some of the same problems getting everything to run
properly.  First of all my system:
AMD Athlan XP 2200+
Soundblaster Audigy
Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP Deluxe
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200
Also CMIPCI onboard sound (will explain why I added that soon)
FC1

Ok so first off, I know this tv card has problems, it took me a long
time to figure it out the first time.  I have set the tuner type=2 from
when it autodetects it to be 5.  I still have a little tweaking to do
(fine tuning and such) but I have video for now in LiveTV mode and I
can change channels, so thats not my issue right now.  My main issue is
my sound.  Here are the different conditions I have with my sound:

1)  Disable onboard sound, install ALSA Audigy drivers.  Unfortunately
my tv card doesn't support btaudio so I hook a cable from the output on
the card to the line in on my audigy.  My speaker is hooked up to my
line out (duh!).  Unfortunately I read up on the audigy ALSA drivers
and apparently it has some issues and won't act properly and output the
sound its recording (or maybe it isn't recording from the right line, I
don't know which) and so I get no sound.  I could get sound in
MythMusic and MythVideo, but not LiveTV.  I know that line 1 in is
getting the sound because when I unmute it I get sound ~3 seconds or
more behind the video in live tv.  Unless I missed something in the
list, with ALSA there isn't a way to fix this.  I think I could go buy
some extra hardware and hook up my digital out up to my speakers
(through different converters and such) but I really don't want to go
out and buy anything.  If I am wrong in any of this, please correct me
because I would love to only use my Audigy.

2) Enable onboard sound, install ALSA Audigy and CMIPCI drivers (at
least, I think I installed them correctly).  This is where I start to
get really frustrated, because I know this is how I got it to work back
in January.  I have tried recording with line in on Audigy and
outputting to the onboard sound (no avail).  I have tried recording
line in on my onboard sound and outputting to my audigy (no avail).  I
have tried recording through my mic in on my onboard sound and
outputting to my audigy (no avail).  I have tried swapping which
soundcard gets dsp and dsp1, but that didn't seem to work either.  I
was, however, able to get sound out of both of them through MythMusic,
so I know they were both installed correctly at one time.  However,
whenever I have both of these installed, I can't seem to get MythVideo
to get any sound either (on either card).

Also, I disabled the aRts at startup, which was an issue for awhile, but
once I changed that it allowed me to get sound in MythMusic in both
scenarios.

Anyways, I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I know I'm missing a simple
little thing, or I missed one little configuration that I was supposed
to do.  Also, just to let you guys know, I used Jarod's guide as my
go-to source, as well as a little from the official docs.

I'm gonna keep trying here, or go on to tweak my video whilst I wait for
someone to respond.  Or maybe I can finally sit down and configure my
remote (oh the joy!).  Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this
and any help would be appreciated.

Ryan