[mythtv-users] IR transmitter

Mark D. Vaughn mvaughn at techline.com
Sat Jun 26 10:43:44 EDT 2004

William wrote:

>>Now I need to change channels on my dish receiver.
>>
>>I'm having trouble setting up an IR transmitter following the
>>how-to from a link that was sent to me. I don't remember who
>>sent it. The link is;
>>http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
>>

>>Is there a better/newer/easier method of doing this?
>>

>I cannot help you with the IR transmitter problem but I can tell you that I
>have had good luck using a MyBlaster IR transmitter with my Dishnetwork
>system. I have posted about this before so search the archives for more
>info.
>
>Good luck!

I had the same problem as well when setting this up on Fedora Core 1.
What I did, and it seemed to work well for me was to just manually edit
modules.conf directly.  I basically just cut and pasted the lines that
are supposed to go into /ect/modutils/lirc_ledxmit  into
/etc/modules.conf.  I changed to line that says "below ledxmit_serial
ledxmit_dev" to "*add* below ledxmit_serial ledxmit_dev" and then
uncommented the proper line to choose my serial port.

Other than those changes I followed the howto to the letter.  I belive
/sbin/depmod -a also worked after I made those changes.

# setup ledxmit/lirc kernel modules
alias char-major-72 ledxmit_serial
add below ledxmit_serial ledxmit_dev
# !!! note DEFAULT is COM2 !!!   how, you ask? see configure statement
in myth-ledxmit.sh script above.
# for COM1, simply uncomment the following:
# options ledxmit_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
# for COM2, do nothing, or uncomment the following:
# options ledxmit_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8

good luck!