[mythtv-users] I just can't get it working.

Cyber Source peter at cybersource.us
Sun Jun 27 10:38:24 EDT 2004

I gotta chime in on this one, MythTV is definitely worth the time it
takes. I spent alot of time setting it up only because I always had
trouble with sound. With apt-get and the specs found at
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv, it really couldn't be easier. The missing
part about sound configs would have saved me alot of anguish. It is
important to setup the encoders and transcoders for audio sampling rate.
Mine at 48000 works like a champ, perfect sync and quality.
Simply put, there are just WAY too many cool things you can do with
MythTV. My favorite is if your cruising through the channels and happen
on a movie you like but it's halfway over, you can use the guides
advanced section to find the next occurance of the movie and then set it
up to record. I've done that a few time now, that is just too cool to me!

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:59:13AM -0400, Raymond Day wrote:
>

>>Thank you Hamish
>>
>>I put the card in my Windows XP computer. Loaded the CD that came with it.
>>In about 5 minuites I was up and running. Could do every thing with the
>>card. I spent 2 days trying to get mythtv to work on a linux type PC. I give
>>up! It was so easy on windows XP!
>>
>>Mybe some day when they make one RPM of mythtv that will install easy. Like
>>how webmin installs. Then I will try again. But I guess that will not be for
>>years to come.
>>

>Raymond,
>
>By all means use XP if it suits you and you're comfortable with it. In 5
>minutes, were you watching TV with TV guide, time-shifting, scheduled
>recording from the TV guide? Picture-in-picture? A mix of different
>types of TV technology (analog, DVB, HDTV)? Simple interface to play
>music, DVDs and AVI files, all remote-controllable?
>
>I suspect not. If you can find software on Windows to do all that, by
>all means run it and enjoy it. I guess not else you wouldn't have looked
>at Myth in the first place.
>
>I thought MythTV was worth putting a bit of effort in to myself. Yes
>I've been working with Linux for years which helped a lot. But Myth's
>features are great, so I think it's worth a bit of work to get going.
>
>Hamish

                         115 Richfield Road
               Williamsville, New York 14221
                            716-553-8525