[mythtv-users] I just can't get it working.

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Sun Jun 27 14:28:34 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> Personally, it was the crappiness of the software that came with my
> PVR-250 that made me want to put it to better use. Yes, I did look at
> the other windows software about at the time - it didn't and still
> doesn't have the feature set of Myth.
>
> And no, I wasn't a Linux expert when I started. I'd done a bit of
> sysadminning and Samba setup and the like, but I had little or no idea
> about installing from source, module configuration, any of it, but I
> was prepared to learn it in order to get Myth working.
>
> Yes, Myth can be a bitch to set up - what did you expect from a 0.x
> project? Since I came onboard (0.13), Myth has come on leaps and
> bounds in simplicity and usability. There are already RPM, DEB and
> ebuild installers, the only thing that needs doing by hand is
> configuration, same as with Windows. The only problem is that, if
> you're not familiar with the CLI, this configuration can be daunting.
>
> The TV card however is another story, but this is hardly Linux's
> fault. The manafacturers simply refuse point blank to release any
> Linux drivers, nor do they release any information about the hardware
> to allow the open source driver/kernel hackers to write their own,
> which they are more than willing to do. To be frank, it's amazing that
> *any* hardware works in Linux, when there's such a dearth of
> information available to us? Hence why we have projects like ivtv,
> where a bunch of incredibly talented people hack away at reverse
> engineering all the windows drivers and all the rest of it, to produce
> a driver that works. In my case, better than the windows version.
> Again, it's cutting edge stuff, and they're concentrating on getting
> it working before they make it easy to use. If this isn't for you,
> then windows is obviously the better option.
>
> By all means, use Windows. For stuff like Myth (i.e. the cutting bit
> of the bleeding edge), it's easier - but again, AFAIK, you still don't
> have Myth's feature set. Personally, I wanted to learn more about
> Linux, I wanted a cool project like Myth, and I didn't want to spend
> £100-£300 on a windows license.
>
> Just another 2p for the discussion.

By all accounts SageTV for Windows is quite nice (even has networked
client/server modes) and easy to install, and offers most (all?) of the
mythtv functionality. I don't know how "thin" a client running Windows
can be though, and it will cost you $100 for both licenses (plus Windows
if needed).

Truly (IMO) Mythtv is more for the hobbiest / linux hacker. If you don't
know linux and don't care to learn a lot about it, and really want only
to enjoy a PVR ASAP, then either TIVO or SageTV should be you 1st choice.

Tim