[mythtv-users] OT: wireless 802.11g pci suggestions

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sun Jun 27 16:54:57 EDT 2004

HI!

Myth wrote:
> Anybody have suggestions on a good cheap PCI wireless card for my remote
> frontend?
> I am running FC1, and have a Netgear WGT624 AP. Can anything use the
> 'turbo' mode in linux?

I also have a WGT624. I use a Netgear WG311 PCI card with the madwifi
driver.

It works pretty good. Even with WEP enabled, I can copy data at up to
3.0 Mbytes/s over WLAN, when I have a 54 MBit connection. Since my Myth
box sits in the cupboard, I mosty have only 36 MBit, which is good for
about 2.0-2.3 Mbytes/s.

With this speed, my Mythfrontend works very well over WLAN (using MPEG2,
7 MBit).

Turbo mode is not available, yet.

If you decide to buy the card, make sure you get the one with the
Atheros chipset, because there is also a version with a TI chipset, I
think. The madwifi driver only works with Atheros.

A friend of mine uses a Siemens AP with a PCMCIA card with Broadcom
chipset (both 11g) in his ASUS Pundit Myth machine. He uses the
ndiswrapper driver. He has much less speed then I. Connection is 24 MBit
and speed is more like 0.5 Mbytes/s.

Thomas