[mythtv-users] TV Out Problems

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Sun Jun 27 23:40:59 EDT 2004

Delf Meek wrote:

>Hello all.  I'm new to MythTV, and using the GUI of
>Linux (Until now, I've always done things through the
>command line).
>
>I'm using an ATI Radeon 7500 Video Card.  I understand
>that NVidia is a better card, but my budget is tight
>right now, so I'll have to live with my choice of the
>ATI Radeon.
>
>I configured the Linux machine hooked up to my
>computer monitor, and then disconnected the box and
>hooked it up to my TV via S-Video (no computer monitor
>attached).  When I boot up, everything looks fine in
>text mode, but the instance the logon screen comes up,
>all I get is jibberish.  It acts like the screen
>resolution/refresh rate is out of wack.  Switching
>over to Text mode (such as pressing Control ALT f2,
>allows me to log in via text mode).
>
>How can I adjust this setting?  Help!

You don't say what distro or TV type you are using, but usually this can
be controlled by locking your vertical refesh to 60hz (NTSC) or 50Hz
(PAL).  Look in your x config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config for me on
Knoppix) and find your "VertRefresh" line. Edit it to read "60 - 60" (or
"50 - 50") as apropriate.

Tim