[mythtv-users] Redhat 9 -->> Mandrake 10

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Jun 28 21:04:24 EDT 2004

I had a very stable system (mainly recording and watching recordings)
running on Redhat 9 until the last few releases. Then the backend
failures started and I've basically been told to get off Redhat if you
want any real debugging. With the help of someone on this list(urpmi
problems, thanks Eric) I have a running Mandrake system. I still need to
install ivtv and lirc, but I have mythtv-suite installed, and upgraded
to CVS.

I don't want to blow away my old system, but I don't have another drive
large enough. So I decided to keep mysql and the storage on the original
system and just use it as a second frontend and for messing with videos,
burning dvds, etc. Then use my Mandrake system for the backend and
primary frontend. The backend will connect to the remote mysql DB and
use the storage over NFS.

Okay, if you followed that, are there any major reasons I should NOT
have the backend connect to mysql remotely AND connect to the storage
over NFS?

If not, how can I get my newly installed backend to connect to the mysql
database on the other machine? I can connect manually using the mysql
client.

Also, I have the storage mounted over NFS as /mythtv. On the old system
the directory locally was /mythtv, so I'm hoping I can just connect the
new mythbackend right to the database and be ready to go.

Okay, bust my bubble, what am I missing?

Thanks,
James