[mythtv-users] Dual-monitor display for MythTV/PVR-350/Nvidia

Dudley Atkinson dudley at jdatkinson.net
Tue Jun 29 00:57:25 EDT 2004

Does anyone else have a PVR-350 AND an Nvidia nforce2?  I've got it and
would like to run a dual-monitor display, but have run into difficulty
getting one to be RightOf the other.

Basically, I can get X into one or the other, but not both displays working
together.  The reason I think is because the nvidia card registers its
framebuffer as /dev/fb0, which is the same as the pvr-350 ivtv_fb driver
(/dev/fb0).  Is this important to the problem, or not?

When I set the two displays up as separate in the Xservers file on different
consoles, then all is good, but it is inconvenient to do the ctrl-alt-f8/f7
commands to toggle between them - since the inactive one seems to have a
dark screen.  If anyone knows how to have the "inactive" nvidia display show
the screen when it isn't consoled, I'm interested....

What does this have to do with MythTV?  Well, I'd like to host the MythTV on
the PVR-350, but have the nvidia available to display DVD's with mplayer
(because the nvidia has "xv" support).

thanks!!!

JD

for details, the logfile shows this when kdm is started:
-snip a bunch of nvidia information

(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(II) FBDEV(1): using /dev/fb0

Fatal server error:
Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all
framebuffer devices

---> note <---
I did specify the busID for the nvidia card with  PCI line:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "nvidia"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "NvAGP" "1"