[mythtv-users] shortcuts but how?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 12:27:23 EDT 2004

>Umm yeah. . .   You don't want to edit those.  Those are the mysql
>tables.  If you decided to edit them directly, you can kiss that table
>goodbye.  Since it sounds like you don't know sql, if you want to setup
>the jump-points, install mythweb.

If you don't know SQL, but still want to edit the tables directly, then GUI
configurators like PHPMyAdmin are a good bet; they're how I got started on
SQL syntax. But then again, they involve installing apache and PHP... so
you might as well just install MythWeb. Either are infinitely preferable to
editing the tables from the command line. There are probably some Qt/GTK
based editors too. I know MySQl make a standalone administration tool for
windows.

The "don't edit the tables directly" is a bit of a moot point with MythWeb,
as AFAIK it doesn't error-check the key bindings editor yet.

Installation and configuration of apache under almost any distro is pretty
painless (it's one of them there killer apps after all, start quoting
"LAMP" thingies, etc etc), and if you're concerned about security you can
configure apache not to start automatically so it's not running all the time.

Personally, I find MythWeb one of the most amazing parts of the Myth suite.
It doesn't matter if I'm in the next room or the next continent; over the
network I can tell my computer to record stuff. So next time you're being
pursued by Godzilla surfing down a volcano in Bogota with your wireless
Zaurus and remember you're about to miss an episode of Home & Away, you can
just dial in and set things right.