[mythtv-users] Live TV Pauses

Ivan A. Beveridge ivan at dreamtime.org
Wed Jun 30 17:10:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:14:26PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:

> I'd highly _not_ recommend the epia-m.   It's certainly not quiet (40mm loud
> fan on the cpu), and it's extremely slow -- too slow to do anything
> interesting on.

I got an EPIA-MII 12000 and I concur with the (CPU) fan noise! I got a
replacement fan from ultim8pc here:
  http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?section=products&idd=4#MOOMI-40MM

Now the case fan is the loudest thing (disk is an 80GB 2.5" laptop
disk). I thought the (slot-load) DVD-RW would be noisy, but I can't hear
it - it's writing 4x speed at the moment :)

The format (size, etc) is very convenient - my Travala C137 box is
smaller than both my DVD player and video, and won't look out of place
(when I get rid of the keyboard and monitor ;) It doesn't run anything
like as hot as the Thompson PVR (that I nearly burned my hand on, in
Currys this a/noon)!

Getting the extra bits working (hardware MPEG acceleration, etc) certainly
seems to be an extra hassle ... it's a shame that Via aren't more
forthcoming with code, etc :( Playback of TV is the only problem/issue
[1] I have at the moment - there seems plenty of spare capacity to
record a couple of DVB streams .... I haven't tried DVD yet.

We'll see what I think when I've had it running properly for a while :)

--
Ivan Beveridge	<ivan at dreamtime.org>