[mythtv-users] Live TV Pauses

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Jun 30 18:48:32 EDT 2004

Ivan A. Beveridge wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 05:52:57PM -0400, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>

>>Kevin Stussman wrote:
>>

>>>"audio Seems to work fine" means that alsa audio for me is not broken in
>>>Mythtv (on the surface)...
>>>

>>Native alsa in Myth is broken for everyone.
>>

>In what way is it broken? I'm curious as I get sound (but I have the
>jitters, which sounds like it could be related to alsa :) I think there
>is an OSS compatability layer in alsa - should that work?
>
>Am I being daft trying to cling onto alsa? It just looks like that is
>definitely the way kernel 2.6 has moved, and it seems to have better and
>more support for sound.
>
>Not being a dev bod I feel really presumptive asking some of these
>questions when I can't see how I can help :(

I was a bit taken aback too - I run an alsa only kernel.

JDS made it clearer:
_native_ alsa is broken
alsa via oss emulation is OK

Essentially Myth is begining to support the ALSA api - but for now that
doesn't work and it has to use the oss emulation that ALSA provides for
backward compatibility.

David