[mythtv-users] Feature request: e-mail notify

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Mon Mar 1 01:57:20 EST 2004

Tom Marshall wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 06:58:49PM -0500, Tony Maro wrote:
>>I would want it to have an SMTP setting because I won't be running
>>sendmail or postfix on the box, nor will I be checking e-mail directly
>>on it.  I'd want it to send outbound mail to my network server (or to
>>your ISP's server.)
>

> This can be done with a ~/.forward file or /etc/aliases.
>
> Note you don't need an SMTP server listening on the machine to send mail,
> only to receive it.

Postfix or sendmail are kind of overkill for a client-only machine,
though.  What I tend to do with my machines is install SSMTP and point
it at my central mail server (or my ISP).  SSMTP is a deliver-only
system, but it mimics sendmail (even has a /usr/sbin/sendmail for
programs that use that for mail).  You just configure the mailhost
to use for mail delivery and you're up and running.  On gentoo, it
generally gets emerged by default (cron and friends require a mailer,
among other things, and ssmtp is the base).  For other flavours, you
can download it:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/mail/mta/ssmtp-2.48.tar.gz

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan

It sure is Monday... Ain't it a sin
I've gotta work my way thru the week again.
	- Mark Chesnutt..."Sure Is Monday"