[mythtv-users] MythTv with Via EPIA M10000 board (low quality display, jitter and picture sharpness)

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon Mar 1 06:28:47 EST 2004

Hi All,

Though people may be interested in the problems I had with poor quality
images when using
MythTv on a Via EPIA M10000 board.

The main issue was jitter of the image. I finally found that I had to
enable "Use Video As Timebase"
option. It appears that this enables either synchonisation to the
graphics card, or if this is
not available uses the Linux real time clock to synchronise output.
Without this usleep() is
used ....
It would be worth putting this in the manual under "configuring
mythfrontend"

I have improved the SVideo image quality a bit by turning off the
deflicker filter in
the TVout chip using info obtained from Ivor.

My MythTv system:
Server: Intel 900MHz Celeron system in loft, running RedHat 9 with
MythTv 0.14 installed using a Hauppague PCI DVB-T card.
TVClient: Diskless (NFS root) Via M10K booting RedHat 9 from server.
Software additions: Kernel: 2.4.24-epia1, XFree86 4.3.99.902-epia7.2,
TVout deflicker mod.
Via binary libddmpeg.so, MythTv 0.14.
Network: 100MBit Ethernet