[mythtv-users] Hard drive recommendation

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 10:57:01 EST 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:03, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 22 February 2004 07:59 am, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> > > I've got the 200gb 7200.7 in my main Myth box.  It's hot, but
> > > I've never heard it running, not even during boot up.
> >
> > Yeah, I got one of these a little while back via the rebate CompUSA
> > was offering ($100 after rebates), and I was quite surprised &
> > impressed at how quiet it is.  I can never hear it running at all,
> > even when there's a lot of disk activity.
> >
> > I hear the Barracuda V is even quieter, if that's possible.
>
> Just an update on the Seagate 7200.7:  I bought a 200GB 7200.7 last
> week, and it exhibits the behavior described here:
>
> http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/view_message/20081647
>
> Basically, when the drive is idle for a a little bit, it will, all on
> its own, decide to start seeking around and reading mass amounts of
> data.
>
> It's relatively loud and very annoying, when the computer would
> otherwise be quiet.  I've worked around this by running a little
> shell script that runs 'hdparm -I /dev/hdb' every second to prevent
> the drive from ever being detected as idle, but that's not really an
> ideal solution.  I certainly would not have bought the drive if I had
> known of this in advance.

Hmmm, I don't think I'm seeing this on my 200GB 7200.7... it's quite a
bit quieter than my old 120GB WD Caviar, but I still think I'd notice
if it was thrashing like that... I wonder if it's because I have swap
enabled on a partition on that drive (and it's also my boot drive)?  So
that maybe it's never detected as idle... my HD light is always on
(steady), even though I usually can't detect any disk activity when I'm
not using it...

-JAC