[mythtv-users] Hey all

Ed Benckert ed at ebonmists.com
Mon Mar 1 14:04:17 EST 2004

I noticed that... I wrote an app that would do playlists MUCH more
intelligently than mythmusic's built in playlists. (Which is "pick the songs
you want" and thats as complicated as it gets). Mine's a PHP webpage where
you can make very very complex smart playlists, like in iTunes, but even
more complicated than that.

For example, I have a playlist that says:
Give me every song between 1980 and 1989 that is not of the genre christmas,
jazz, tv theme songs, metal, broadway, soundtrack (and then a few others).

iTunes can do that. MythMusic cannot. But say you wanted all 80's music
(like above) AND any club/dance/techno music, regardless of year... mine can
link two playlisits together like that.

And yes, you could do all that manually with the MythMusic playlist editor,
but say you finally got that mp3 of Whip It! you've been wanting, and you
add it to your library... to make sure it's in your playlist, you gotta
manually add it. With my thing, it would be added in automatically (like
iTunes smart playlists)

Anyway, I digress. In coding that I noticed the terribly bad way itunes
finds songs that are in its playlist... all song ID's are in a comma
demilited string, and quite likely it does some crappy for-loop and issues a
select for each song it finds to get the title, instead of using the
database like it should be used for. I'm gonna see if I can fix that.

If anyone is interested in my playlist generator, send me an email. Make
sure mythtv is somewhere in the subject line so my spam trapper doesnt eat
the email. Right now it's Ed-only software (written by me, for me, pretty
much only deipherable by me to reconfigure it for anyone else) but if
there's demand I'll make sure it's portable and others can use it cleanly.