[mythtv-users] Hardware requirements for two dumb capture cards

Adam Felson a.f.5 at pobox.com
Tue Mar 2 09:27:49 EST 2004

I'm giving up on using a matrox g200 as it's tv output quality is too
poor.  I finally got it to run at the right frequencies and to fill the
screen, but the card I got is noisy.  Some of the computer's signals are
bleeding into the video picture.

I've gone back to using a radian 9200 for the tvout and it's display is
absolutely perfect, especially compared to the g200.

Problem now is that the system, based on a 500mhz pentium III, is too
slow to work.  I have two dumb capture cards, a bt848 based card and a
bt878.  For live TV, the system can only do 3-4 frames per second.
Maybe I have something else seriously wrong like mythtv isn't using the
fastest frame buffer possible.

I'm assuming that If I put together a system with an athlon XP 2400,
I'll be able to encode on one card and watch live tv on the other card
and never see missed frames.

--
Adam Felson <a.f.5 at pobox.com>