[mythtv-users] PVR-350 survey - what works and what doesn't?

Scott Anderson scottanderson at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 22:37:39 EST 2004

While I'm still wrestling with getting my PVR-350 card working, I keep
reading about the supposed hordes of people for whom It Just Works. :-)

So I thought I'd run a quick survey to see what people were running and
what seems to work, and maybe a trend will develop.

I have:

PVR-350 (obviously)
Gigabyte GA-7VM266 (this has a VIA KM266 chipset)
AMD 2000
512M Corsair Value RAM 2700

Debian Unstable
mythtv-frontend 0.14-5
mythtv-backend 0.14-5
ivtv 0.1.9 (I've also tried the "0.1.9a" patched version, with no
visible changes)
lirc 0.7.0rc2
xserver-xfree86 4.3.0-2

I have live preview in the guide set off.

hdparm -I shows:
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        bytes avail on r/w long: 40     Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific
minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

Existing problems:

Live preview in the Recorded Programs listing will kill a recording in
progress.
Viewing any recorded program will freeze the frontend, sometimes 2
seconds in, sometimes 15 minutes in.
Fast forward at speeds higher than 1X will freeze the frontend.

Live TV seems to work just fine.

I can't think of any other details to post...

Regards,
-scott