[mythtv-users] Feature request

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Mar 3 04:55:28 EST 2004

James Armstrong wrote:
> I already found this info and did it with the exception of the database
> stuff. I could not edit the database, getting Access Denied. I also had
> to remove about 50 channels which can be a pain. I just thought it would
> be nice enhancement like the Tivo, it allows you to choose the channels
> you want in the EPG. I always remove the home shopping channels and
> stuff like that. There is an Edit Channels in the setup, it just does
> not have a 'Remove Channel' option. Wouldn;t that  be a simple thing to add?

Yes and no. There is a "Channel Editor" in the setup program
and that could use a 'remove this channel' type button to take
care of the SQL for you. However, if you continue to receive
the channel in the XML, the channels will be re-added each time
you run mythfilldatabase. If you are using a grabber like
tv_grab_na that has a <sourcename>.xmltv file, you need to
comment out the channels where you no longer want data in any
case.

Next, as others have pointed out, you need to figure out why
you can't connect to your DB. If myth can, you most likely
have a problem with the username/password that you are using
on the commandline.

There are two different things here that you may not have
considered as being different. That is that there are the
channels that you receive data for and there can be a subset
of channels that you see in the EPG. There are (unfortunately
IMHO) two different ways to limit what you see in the EPG. There
is a "visible" field in the channel table (also needs a widget
added to the Channel Editor) and there are "favorites" like
what you're referring to. See your keys.txt file and look for
"favorite".

--  bjm