[mythtv-users] Feature suggestion: Set record from URL

Ben Brown mythtv at handcoder.com
Wed Mar 3 10:58:08 EST 2004

I think your right on the global issues.  I wouldn't think there would
be to much over lap, I'm sure they may be some but not enough to really
cause to much trouble.

A couple of issues I thought about.

Let me preface this by saying I don't really do any PHP development.
All of my development is ASP and VBScript.  If some of the problems are
already taken care of by PHP functions just let me know.

First, I'd like to be able to use this from my actual myth box not from
a browser on another box.  if it's integrated into mythweb, then that
would not be very easy to do.  We could use mythbrowse(?), but then why
would it need to integrate to mythweb.

Second, If you use a browser and cookies, you have to consider how you
would make the submission of data in the first place. I guess mythweb
could pull the data out and submit the data for you, but how would you
handle keeping the cookie persistent since the browser was doing the
submission the script was. You could catch the cookie data and store it
in a local file, but that is really more than I think we need.  I think
an easier way may be to just generate a unique ID and return that the
first time someone makes a submission.  Your local client could then
store that and use it for future submissions.

Another suggestion would be to not make a submission valid until the
user has made X number of submissions.  This may cut down on bad data.

Ben