[mythtv-users] Feature suggestion: Set record from URL

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Wed Mar 3 12:22:04 EST 2004

This probably more belongs on the DEV list, but I'm not on the DEV list,
so here ;-)

Lets hash out how this data might come from a URL (and attack a possible
central database later.)

FWIK this could be handled in one of two ways.  #1) A special URL
containing all the data for the schedule or #2) A specially created text
file that contains the data and has a handler set up in the browser to
feed it to a client app.

I'm guessing #2 is easier to handle across multiple platforms, and will
also give more flexibility.

So, I'm going to go on the assumption we need a special file format.
Let's call it a ".mtv" file.  No, wait I think that's taken ;-).  How
about a ".mrp" file. (Myth Record Profile)

Obviously it should be XML just to stay chic.

Here's sample tags as I see it:

<mythrecprofile>  (contains all other tags)
   <type>chan</type>     (optional) - have a question here
   <title>Stargate SG-1</title>
   <subtitle>Window of Opportunity</subtitle> (optional)
   <channum>59</channum> (optional) - I'll explain later...
   <chansign>SCIFI</chansign> (optional)
   <autoexpire>yes</autoexpire>  (optional)
   <maxepisodes>3</maxepisodes>  (optional)
   <priority>1</priority>        (optional)
   <starttime>12:00:00</starttime> (optional)
   <startdate>2004-03-03</startdate> (optional)
   <enddtime>13:00:00</endtime> (optional)
   <enddate>2004-03-03</enddate> (optional)
</mythrecprofile>

Possible type values:
any   (any showing, any channel)
chan  (this channel)
once  (just record once)
daily (whenever in this timeslot)

First on the "type" field as listed in the database.  If I specify a
type of 1 in the database (just record once) but don't specify a date or
time or channel, etc, will MythTV still record the next incident of this
show?

On the channum field - you may be thinking this shouldn't be there, but
here's why.  I'm currently developing a website for a local TV station.
  It would be nice to have a "MythRec" button on the programming listing
that automatically triggers it to record...  but of course since they
run syndicated shows that also are on other channels, I wouldn't want it
to trigger recordings on a competitor's channel.

So, for instance, to record Stargate on any channel forever more it
would look like:

<mythrecprofile>
   <title>Stargate SG-1</title>
</mythrecprofile>

To only record on Sci-Fi
<mythrecprofile>
   <type>chan</type>
   <title>Stargate SG-1</title>
   <chansign>SCIFI</chansign>
</mythrecprofile>

However to record just the movie Stargate next time it's on:

<mythrecprofile>
   <type>once</type>
   <title>Stargate</title>
</mythrecprofile>

Then you just need a command line script or program that takes the XMl
and turns it into a MySQL entry.

-Tony