[mythtv-users] Recommend: PCI video card with TV Out

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 17:04:50 EST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 16:16, Kyle Rose wrote:
> > There are several reasons that nVidia is a better choice than ATI.
> > It supports overscan so you can match the image size to the edges
> > of your screen.
>
> I believe this is true of GeForce4 and better only: in particular, I
> believe the GeForce2's (the *really* cheap nVidia cards) do not
> support overscan.
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle

You can get over/underscan on GeForce2's using the 'nvtv' utility, but
only the GeForce4's & GeForce FX's support direct over/underscan via
XF86Config mechanism.

Basically, I think any newer Nvidia card with an Nvidia TV encoder will
support over/underscan via XF86Config; older Nvidia cards with a
Philips TV encoder need to use nvtv.  Don't quote me on that, though.

-JAC