[mythtv-users] Svideo through SCART cable on european PVR350?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Thu Mar 4 03:34:59 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:54:29 -0000, Nick Kaijaks <nick at kaijaks.co.uk> wrote:

> Niklas wrote:
>> Just got my PVR350 today and managed to build the 0.1.9 ivtv drivers
> for
>> kernel 2.6.3. Right now I have a *composite* test image on my TV, and
>> while it looks very nice, I'd like to have svideo (like I had with my
> G200
>> once, and even with my Pundit's built-in TV-out). So...
>>
>> I've tried the obvious: rmmod saa7127;modprobe saa7127 pal=1
>> enable_output=1 output_select=1 test_image=1
>> ...where output_select=1 should be svideo, but on my TV (set to expect
>> svideo) I get the classic checkerboard-washed-out-colours theme you get
>
>> when a displaying a composite image on an svideo device.
>>
>> Anyone with a european PVR350/SCART with any good advice? =)
>
> Hi Niklas,
>
> My modprobe options are the same as yours and it works fine. Maybe it's
> worth a double-check of the hardware?
>
> My TV only accepts S-Video on 1 of its 3 SCART sockets - if I connect
> the SCART lead to either of the other two sockets, I get the
> checkerboard. Meanwhile, on the first socket, the TV defaults back to
> composite *every time* (how annoying is that?). I need to explicitly
> choose S-Video to stop the checkerboard (I'll get around to teaching my
> remote to do that automatically sometime).
>
> Anyway, it sounds like maybe you've done all that. All I know is that I
> spent ages checking and re-checking compile and module settings only to
> discover my real problem was with the cabling.

Thanks for the help... turns out it wasn't needed, though I'm not sure
why. In X I got perfect SVideo out for som reason (might have something to
do with this page: http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/). I already knew the
SCART input used for SVideo as I have used it before on my Pundit:s
SVideo-out.

My problems right now are that the GUI is too big and that the 350 starts
giving me the weird picture where the TV image is 3/4 the size and in the
top left corner, without sound, loads of dropped frames, and garbage in
the bottom and right edges... and I also want to figure out what recording
resolutions I can use (seem to remember something like 720x576, 480x576
and 352x288 being the only hardware-only options).

> I wrote a bunch of stuff in the ivtv Wiki about my S-Video/SCART
> experience, which may be irrelevant, since it was mostly the input that
> caused trouble, but it's at:
>
> http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=S-Video

Yup, read that, Almost the first thing I stumbled upon when I got this
problem, actually.

> if you want to look. Perhaps you should also look at the ivtv mailing
> lists? They're at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219

Been reading a lot here, lots of good information if you can find it =)

/ Niklas