[mythtv-users] Making the GUI smaller when using KDE?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Thu Mar 4 10:15:58 EST 2004

On 04 Mar 2004 08:41:09 -0500, jose rubio <debian at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 02:51, Niklas Brunlid wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> I'm running mythTV on a PVR350 using KDE on Gentoo... as will all 350:s
>> have the problem with the GUI being too big for the screen (which is set
>> at 720x576, though I suspect that the 350 doesn't care about that X
>> setting?). I tried setting the values in the mythfrontend setup to
>> 640x480
>> with an offset of 40/48, and it came out nice and centered but inside a
>> very visible KDE window, with my desktop shining through between the
>> window and the TV edge.
>>
>> Is there a way to shrink the GUI while at the same time displaying it
>> on a
>> fullscreen window? I've looked around in the list archives but the only
>> tips I could find were to use the settings I've already tried...
>>
>> / Niklas
>> ----
>>

> You just have to play with those numbers... you need to raise the
> 640x480 numbers and lower the offset numbers...

...to get the window edges just outside of the TV edges. D'oh! Got it. =)

> BTW, i wouldn't say
>> as will all 350:s I have the problem with the GUI being too big for
>> the screen
>
> i would say:
> ...as with all 350's i have the feature that the screen is perfectly
> sized to view tv...
>
> :-)

No argument here - even the SVideo test image blew me away.

> You see, if you had something other that a 350, you would have to resize
> the tv-out to make it show well whereas the gui would fit perfectly.

Yup, I had to do that on the Pundit's TV-out. I actually got it to within
a few mm:s from the edge with great quality, but got tired of the constant
chroma/luminance/contrast adjustments and the crappy sound. =)

/ Niklas