[mythtv-users] RGBHV

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 15:58:31 EST 2004

Quoting Adam and Lori Walker <slamcorp at comcast.net>:

> Hi all, I've been reading until my eyes are sore and still haven't found best
> answer yet.
>
> If I am going to run direct from vga to RGBHV on my HDTV using a break-out
> cable,
> should I still be using the NVIDIA MX 440 or is there a better card for that
> purpose.
>
> yes sorry this is in avforum also but my pc is specifically for myth and I'm
> trying to achieve
> better quality.
If you're running straight RGBHV, almost any decent video card should be fine,
although in addition to having TV-Out, the GF4MX boards are also often used
because of the fact that they have excellent drivers and featureset, and are
quite cheap.  (Hardware MoComp/IDCT/scaling, etc.)

If you happen to want to also run games on the machine, you might want to go for
an FX board.  Much more expensive but in all ways superior to the 4MX boards.
(Just not significantly so for 2D-only applications, but as soon as you want to
do any 3D, the FX blows away the 4MX.)