[mythtv-users] Bug in scheduler?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Fri Mar 5 02:10:04 EST 2004

HI!

David Engel wrote:

>>If I use the global start early/stop later feature (BTW, this should
>>allow more than 10 minutes), then the scheduler will not use it, if 2
>>shows run right after each other, even if on different channels. If I
>>look at the conflicts screen, it says, it will use the same encoder for
>>both shows. But I have 2 capture cards.
>>
>>In my opinion, this is wrong.
>

> Please submit a patch.  But, make it configurable because not everyone

Not every Myth user is able to submit patches. There will always be more
users than developers. ;-)

> wants to use their extra cards unless they really have to.
>

>>But it would be fatal, if the shows run on different channels, because I
>>might miss the end of the first show and the beginning of the second, if
>>things go a bit wrong.
>
> If your guide data isn't accurate enough to catch the end of a show, use

At least here, TV world is not perfect. I have NTP running, but seems
the stations do not. ;-) If a show is scheduled 8:00 until 9:00, it may
start at 7:58 and it may end at 9:02.

> the stop late feature.

The thing is: In 90% of the cases, I would be satisfied with one global
setting for start early/stop late, if it would work like the setting for
each recording.

Maybe I made myself not totally clear, so here comes an example:

According to the guide:
show 1, 7:00 - 8:00, channel 1.
show 2, 8:00 - 9:00, channel 2.

I set globally start early 10 minutes, stop late 10 minutes. I have 2
capture cards, no one is watching live TV.

Now Myth will record:
show 1 from 6:50 - 8:00 on encoder 1
show 2 from 8:00 - 9:10 on encoder 1
(at least this is what the scheduled recordings screen says) and encoder
2 will not be used.

But the stations will send today:
show 1 from 7:02 - 8:02
show 2 from 7:58 - 8:58

OK, this is a worst case scenarion, but in this case, I will miss the
end of show 1 and the beginning of show 2.

And so I cannot use the global setting and have to set it for each
recording, wher it works like I need it.

Thomas