[mythtv-users] Just 2 more hiccups...

Jason Donahue mythtv at timekiller.org
Fri Mar 5 07:59:36 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've got ALMOST every little bug/annoyance worked out on my myth box.

I switched from TV-Out on my pvr-350 to using a gforce4. With the switch
I also re-installed using Jarod's Fedora Howto.

The first problem I am having is that my Live TV "stutters"
occasionally. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. This NEVER
happened with the 350 TVOut. I have read up on what could cause this,
for example color depth being set to something other than 24bit. I
*THINK* I've eliminated all the obvious (HD using DMA for example). I
know that now the CPU has to do the decoding, but my setup is Athlon XP
1800, with 512MB DDR Ram. I thought this would be enough. Additionally,
when it starts stuttering I monitor CPU usage, as well as disk I/O, and
neither seem to be the cause.

What else can I look at?

Issue #2:
Mplayer stopped working with my remote! I followed Jarod's Fedora Howto,
which means I am using the RPMS from apt-get. My original config was to
use gdm to auto-login the mythuser, but I used mythfrontend as my window
manager (this got rid of all the overhead fromkde and the like) and it
worked beautifully. Now if I do the same, mplayer won't even recognise
keyboard input! I assume this has something to do with a change in
Fedora, not Myth. So now I am using gdm to login to fluxbox, a nice
light-weight gui, and when I launch mplayer, it at least takes keyboard
input, but nothing from the remote :( (yes i made sure my lircrc has
mplayer mappings)

Not sure if it will make a difference, but I am running the latest
snapshot of MythTV ( I LOVE the "select changes to station" in the EPG)

Thanks in advance for your replies...

-J