[mythtv-users] Just 2 more hiccups...

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Fri Mar 5 09:12:41 EST 2004

HI!

Jason Donahue wrote:

> I switched from TV-Out on my pvr-350 to using a gforce4. With the switch
> I also re-installed using Jarod's Fedora Howto.

I am also using my GeForce FX for now, but I plan to use the PVR-350
TV-out in the future.

> The first problem I am having is that my Live TV "stutters"
> occasionally. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. This NEVER
> happened with the 350 TVOut. I have read up on what could cause this,
> for example color depth being set to something other than 24bit. I
> *THINK* I've eliminated all the obvious (HD using DMA for example). I
> know that now the CPU has to do the decoding, but my setup is Athlon XP
> 1800, with 512MB DDR Ram. I thought this would be enough. Additionally,
> when it starts stuttering I monitor CPU usage, as well as disk I/O, and
> neither seem to be the cause.

I have a Celeron 2600 and it stutters also every now and then. More
noticable in LiveTV than in watching a recording. I have also checked
screen depth and DMA.
Shortly I am trying a remote frontend with P3 866. I am curious how this
one will manage.

> What else can I look at?

I would be interested, too. But it may be very short high demand in CPU
usage. If I monitor CPU usage with top, mythfrontend uses 25-30% during
LiveTV. But top cannot show very short peaks. So, it still can be a CPU
issue.

If you lower the bitrate, CPU usage will go down a bit. Normally, I have
7000/8000, but I also tried 6000/6000 and it still stutters a bit from
time to time.

Or maybe it's caused by weak antenna signal?

Thomas